Monday, February 8, 2010

DIY: back to black


before:
black jeans, black straight leg pants, black short sleeve tee, black long sleeve tee, two pairs black legging
oh black,
how I love thee... your slimming qualities, your chicness, your ability to turn hum-drum into oh-la-la. it's all sunshine and fairy dust until....
the friggin' spin cycle and your black turns that awful greenish gray. What is that? Why does that happen? and what the heck can I do about it?!
I have the solution. Seriously. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm feeling pretty darn awesome and I saved a whole lotta $$$.
I bought two boxes of RIT black dye = $10 and I saved two pairs of pants, two shirts, and two pairs of leggings.
Worth it?
You betcha!

step 1: clean off your work space!!
Don't be gross, empty your sink, unload the dishwasher, whatever you need to do.
-Just don't be gross


step 2: empty packet(s) of dye into bowl

step 3: add boiling water to dye (2 cups -I eye balled it)

step 4: whisk to dissolve dye into water

step 5: not pictured -soak everything in warm water

step 6: mix until your hands fall off (I went 30 minutes)

-it felt like hours

-I got so bored

step 7: rinse like cray-cray

rinse as much as you can in the sink


the water is suppose to run clear

I got impatient and transferred everything to the washing machine

quick rinse, cold water

press start, air dry, enjoy your very black things

*stay tuned for tomorrow's post for the results. They're really really good




1 comment:

  1. can I mail mine to NC for you to do? I'm not sure the Asian ladies on my street are down for this...

    ReplyDelete